So, if you’ve taking a pre-workout supplement for a while to elevate your performance at the gym then you might be looking for a recipe to make your own. Doing it yourself is a great way to save some money in the long run plus you’ll know exactly what’s in the drink. This way you can tweak the formula to optimize it’s effects.
I’ve done a lot of research on these supplements and tried out a few before my workouts. After all the hacking around I decided I wanted more control over what I’m putting into my body. I also wanted to try something without caffeine so I wasn’t so pumped up after wrapping up in the gym. After taking time I pulled together these ingredients to create a pre-workout supplement without caffeine. Check it out!
1. Green Tea Extract
Green tea is the least processed tea. So, it has more nutrients compared with other teas. The extract contains great amount of antioxidants, which play a great role in preventing cardiovascular diseases, cancers and other life-threatening conditions. It is derived from a special plant, known as Camellia sinensis, which is native to Asia. This is a great replacement for caffeine to provide a burst of energy without the drawback. Other benefits include:
- Burns extra fats. Green tea extract contains high amount of polyphenols and catechins, which are known to manage obesity by effectively burning fats, thereby, helping with weight loss.
- Improves brain function. In addition to keeping you awake, this extract also makes you smarter as it enhances your brain function. With its L-theanine content, it can increase certain neurotransmitter that offers anti-anxiety effects.
- Supports healthy immune function. Working out may make you feel sick. Through green tea extract’s power, you can strengthen your immune system to prevent any type of illnesses.
- Increases energy. With its healthy stimulant content, it can improve your body’s 24-hour energy usage.
From my research including about 200mg in a drink is a good amount. You can buy this in bulk a Amazon for only $15 (250 grams) and it will make up to 1250 servings. That should last you for a while. Buy Pure Green Tea Powder now.
2. Creatine HCL
The popularity of creatine HCL has never faded because it is safe and it works. Compared with creatine monohydrate, this version is more water soluble, making it easier to be absorbed by the body. This form of creatine is considered as nootropic, performance enhancer, muscle builder and a vitamin. It can be taken before and/or after workout. The great thing is that it can be easily mixed with these other supplements. Here are some more benefits:
- Builds muscle faster. This is one of its main benefits. The reason for it is that it enhances production and supply of energy to the muscle cells.
- Offers more energy to the working muscles. By providing more ATP to these muscles, it can prevent build up of lactic acid allowing you to work out longer and performer more intense exercises.
- Absorbs easily by the body. This is another reason many pre-workout supplements are using this ingredient to make the products more effective. As it is easily absorbed by the bloodstream, it reduces the side effects found in other forms of creatine.
- Offers highly concentrated form of creatine. Because of that, you do not need to take much of it to receive its benefits.
5 grams is good for a pre-workout drink. There are a ton of different forms of this supplement but the best priced I found is in bulk for about $16 (250 grams). Buy Pure Creatine HCL Powder Now. It will make 500 servings.
It is an amino acid that can be found in your skeletal muscle. Although it’s an amino acid, it’s not involved in protein synthesis. Instead, it plays a buffering role in the body. Unfortunately, most food items available do not contain beta-alanine. Thus, it can only be obtained through a supplement. This ingredient will boost your anaerobic performance as well as.
- Lets you train harder. Supplementing your body with beta-alanine lets you train harder and for a longer period of time. This increases your body’s capacity in performing medium to high intensity workouts.
- Intensifies aerobic endurance. This is especially great when you are cycling as it can improve your sprint performance.
- Increases muscle. Since you can perform high intensity workouts, your strength and power will improve, as well as your lean body mass.
- Enhances anaerobic endurance. It increases the content of muscle carnosine that improves your physical performance.
- Improves anaerobic threshold. This can also mean longer time before you feel exhausted.
About 4 grams in a drink is a good amount. You can find this in bulk again for about $19 (500 grams) and it will make about 150 servings. Buy Beta Alanine Powder now.
This is a non-essential amino acid that functions along with arginine and ornithine in eliminating ammonia from the body. As a precursor of arginine, it makes it easier for your body to produce arginine, which can be used to make nitric oxide. We all know what NO can do to our body – it increases vascular function and improves blood flow to the muscles and other parts of the body. Other benefits include:
- Improves mental function. This also means that you will have better focus and concentration while exercising.
- Supports healthy blood circulation. This makes it a great ingredient for users with cardiovascular problems as it can dilate blood vessels while helping remove blockages.
- Helps in the release of human growth hormone. What this means to you when you are bodybuilding is that you will experience healthy muscle growth.
- Speeds up muscle recovery. This is especially great if you want to improve your time working out and lifting weights.
You should use about 3 grams in a drink. You can buy this in bulk a Amazon for only $12 (300 grams) and it will make up to 10 servings. Buy L-Citrulline Powder now.
It is derived from Cordyceps militaris, which are mushroom known to improve vitality, endurance, strength and boost testosterone. This product is grown in California from 100% organic farming. It is in powder form that you can easily add to your smoothie, juice, soup or a pre-workout drink. This will improve your performance as well as:
- Reduces inflammation. This makes it easier for you to work out for longer periods of time.
- Protects heart. This is one of the reasons it is advisable to patients with heart problems.
- Enhances performance. As it increases testosterone levels in the body, it can improve, not just your sexual health but also your physical performance.
- Improves respiratory function. This is especially great if you are performing aerobic exercises, as you will not be losing breath easily.
Add about 500mg to a drink for optimal performance. It costs about $24 (200 grams) which is about 100 servings. Buy some Cordyceps now.
6. Sqwincher Sugar-Free Electrolyte Powdered Beverage Mix
Better than Gatorade, this electrolyte powdered beverage makes it a perfect way to increase electrolytes before you get started workout so you do not get dehydrated while getting your pump on. It will also add a little flavor too the drink. Since it is sugar-free with zero calories, you do not have to worry about any additional calories. It’s benefits include:
- Contains full electrolyte profile. This makes it ideal in fully replenishing mineral and electrolyte loss.
- Stays properly hydrated. That is without the added sodium and sugar that you can usually find in other electrolyte drinks.
- Helps body in recovering. This is especially true after a heavy workout.
Buy Sqwincher from Amazon now. You can get about 50 servings for about $18
Ready to make a Pre-Workout Supplement?
There you have it – the list of the best ingredients in making your own caffeine-free pre-workout supplement. You can see each of the different ingredients has it’s own unique benefits to elevate your workout performance. The great thing about making your own drink is you can try different formulas and cycle on and off different ingredients. This will allow you to pin point what works the best, specifically for you. Thanks for reading along.